Government Jobs - Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Federal Civil Service | Government Jobs & Employment with the Department of Homeland Security. The DHS is actively hiring new people for civil service jobs at locations across the United States and worldwide. Civil service job opportunities exist across a broad spectrum of skills and duties. Applications from the public are now being accepted. In most instances, U.S. citizenship is required.
Careers with the Department of Homeland Security
The DHS mission is to "secure our nation from the many threats we face." Currently, DHS employs more than 240,000 employees working in jobs that range from aviation and border security to emergency response, from cybersecurity analyst to chemical facility inspector. DHS has thousands of career opportunities for civilians at locations all across the United States.
Excellent pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for the Department of Homeland Security. DHS offers numerous benefits and special programs. Federal civil servants receive a salary that is competitive with those in private industry. The federal government offers civil service employees a portable retirement plan with government matching contributions. In addition, federal civil servants receive affordable insurance plans for health, dental, vision, and life.
It takes the combined efforts of the entire DHS workforce to keep our nation strong and secure. Working for the Department of Homeland Security is a challenging, but very rewarding career!
Federal Agencies within DHS that Are Now Hiring
- Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA)
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)
- Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC)
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA)
- United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- United States Coast Guard (USCG)
- United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP)
- United States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE)
- United States Secret Service (USSS)
In-depth Information about civil service career opportunities with the Department of Homeland Security. For more in-depth information about the DHS and a current list of employment opportunities go to: https://www.dhs.gov/
Seven Keys to Getting Hired for a Federal Civil Service Position:
- Knowing how to find those position vacancies for which you are best qualified and most likely to be hired.
- Understanding how the federal civil service application and hiring process works (you must know the rules of the game!)
- Correctly setting up your own personal USAJOBS employment account.
- Knowing how to create a "high-scoring" federal resume (federal resumes are very different from corporate resumes.)
- Knowing which "Key Words" to use in your resume and application package.
- Knowing how to correctly answer "Supplemental Questions" required for many position applications.
- Knowing how to "ace" a federal job interview - it helps to know what to expect and how to prepare so you outshine the other candidates.
Categories of Federal Civil Service Occupations and Nonappropriated Funds (NAF) Jobs.
View a detailed list of the major categories of civilian jobs for the federal government. This list includes the federal occupational groups and the specific series within each group.