Government Jobs - United States Secret Service
Federal Civil Service | Government Jobs & Employment with the United States Secret Service. The Secret Service is actively hiring new people for civil service jobs at locations across the United States. Civil service job opportunities exist across a broad spectrum of skills and duties.
Applications from the public are now being accepted. Secret Service career opportunities feature competitive starting salaries and the potential for performance-based increases, flexible hours, and the ability to achieve and maintain a balanced lifestyle.
About the U.S. Secret Service: The Secret Service is a federal law enforcement agency. The Secret Service is a subordinate agency within the Department of Homeland Security. The Secret Service's prime responsibilities include:
- Protecting the President (current and former), Vice President, their families and senior leadership of the executive branch of the federal government,
- Providing physical security for the White House, the Treasury Department building, the Vice President's residence, and all foreign diplomatic missions in Washington, D.C.,
- Safeguarding the payment and financial systems of the United States against, counterfeiting, financial crimes, and cyber crimes.
Hiring Needs with the Secret Service. "The Secret Service employs approximately 3,600 special agents, 1,600 Uniformed Division officers, and more than 2,000 other specialized administrative, professional and technical support personnel." The Secret Service is currently seeking qualified applicants for numerous positions. Applicants must be U.S. Citizens. Examples of careers and positions currently available (or anticipated to be soon available) with Secret Service include:
Benefits for U.S. Secret Service Employees. Excellent pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for the Secret Service. Government employment offers numerous benefits and special programs. Federal civil servants receive a salary that is competitive with those in private industry. The federal government offers civil service employees a portable retirement plan with government matching contributions. In addition, federal civil servants receive affordable insurance plans for health, dental, vision, and life.
Employment Requirements. All applicants must meet the certain conditions of employment to be eligible for employment with the Secret Service. These employment requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship and age verification
- Successfully passing a federal background investigation (when required)
- Medical exams / drug screening tests (when required)
Apply online for civil service career positions with the U.S. Secret Service. For the most current list of employment opportunities with the Secret Service and to apply online, go to: https://www.secretservice.gov/ also Career Opportunities and Employment with the U.S. Secret Service.
Seven Keys to Getting Hired for a Federal Civil Service Position:
- Knowing how to find those position vacancies for which you are best qualified and most likely to be hired.
- Understanding how the federal civil service application and hiring process works (you must know the rules of the game!)
- Correctly setting up your own personal USAJOBS employment account.
- Knowing how to create a "high-scoring" federal resume (federal resumes are very different from corporate resumes.)
- Knowing which "Key Words" to use in your resume and application package.
- Knowing how to correctly answer "Supplemental Questions" required for many position applications.
- Knowing how to "ace" a federal job interview - it helps to know what to expect and how to prepare so you outshine the other candidates.
Categories of Federal Civil Service Occupations and Nonappropriated Funds (NAF) Jobs.
View a detailed list of the major categories of civilian jobs for the federal government. This list includes the federal occupational groups and the specific series within each group.
Note: Photos and quotes are from the U.S. Secret Service's website. Photos are public domain, nonproprietary downloads.