Government Jobs - U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)
Federal Civil Service | Government Jobs & Employment with the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG). The Coast Guard is actively hiring new people for civil service jobs at locations across the United States. Civil service job opportunities exist across a broad spectrum of skills and duties.
Civil Service Opportunities across the United States. An individual doesn't have to enlist to join the U.S. Coast Guard. A significant number of the Coast Guard's personnel are not military. These are federal civil servants; there are over 7,000 of these civilians. They work at over 100 locations across the United States.
Civilian Hiring Needs within the U.S. Coast Guard. The Coast Guard has a wide variety of careers now available. Some of these occupations include:
Applications from the public are now being accepted. In most instances, U.S. citizenship is required. U.S. Coast Guard career opportunities feature competitive starting salaries and the potential for performance-based increases, flexible hours, and the ability to achieve and maintain a balanced lifestyle.
Benefits for Civilian U.S. Coast Guard Employees: Excellent pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for the U.S. Coast Guard. The Coast Guard offers numerous benefits and special programs. Federal civil servants receive a salary that is competitive with those in private industry. The federal government offers civil service employees a portable retirement plan with government matching contributions. In addition, federal civil servants receive affordable insurance plans for health, dental, vision, and life.
Employment Requirements: All applicants must meet the certain conditions of employment to be eligible for employment at the U.S. Coast Guard. These employment requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship and age verification
- Successfully passing federal Background Investigation (if required)
- Medical and Physical Examination (if required)
In-depth Information about civil service career opportunities with the U.S. Coast Guard. For more in-depth information about the Coast Guard and a current list of employment opportunities go to: https://www.uscg.mil/ also civilian career information.
Seven Keys to Getting Hired for a Federal Civil Service Position:
- Knowing how to find those position vacancies for which you are best qualified and most likely to be hired.
- Understanding how the federal civil service application and hiring process works (you must know the rules of the game!)
- Correctly setting up your own personal USAJOBS employment account.
- Knowing how to create a "high-scoring" federal resume (federal resumes are very different from corporate resumes.)
- Knowing which "Key Words" to use in your resume and application package.
- Knowing how to correctly answer "Supplemental Questions" required for many position applications.
- Knowing how to "ace" a federal job interview - it helps to know what to expect and how to prepare so you outshine the other candidates.
Categories of Federal Civil Service Occupations and Nonappropriated Funds (NAF) Jobs.
View a detailed list of the major categories of civilian jobs for the federal government. This list includes the federal occupational groups and the specific series within each group.
Note: Photos courtesy of the U.S. Coast Guard's website public domain photo downloads.