Government Jobs - Social Security Administration (SSA)
Federal Civil Service | Government Jobs & Employment with the Social Security Administration (SSA). The Social Security Administration is actively hiring new people for civil service jobs at locations across the United States (all 50 states). Civil service job opportunities exist across a broad spectrum of skills and duties.
Duties and Responsibilities: Employees with the Social Security Administration administers the federal social insurance program consisting of retirement, disability, and survivor benefits.
Hiring Needs within the Social Security Administration. SSA employees work in numerous types of jobs. The primary categories of careers and types of jobs currently available with SSA include:
Applications from the public are now being accepted. In most instances, U.S. citizenship is required. Social Security Administration career opportunities feature competitive starting salaries and the potential for performance-based increases, flexible hours, and the ability to achieve and maintain a balanced lifestyle.
Benefits for Department of Social Security Administration Employees: Excellent pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for SSA. Government employment offers numerous benefits and special programs. Federal civil servants receive a salary that is competitive with those in private industry. The federal government offers civil service employees a portable retirement plan with government matching contributions. In addition, federal civil servants receive affordable insurance plans for health, dental, vision, and life.
Employment Requirements: All applicants must meet the certain conditions of employment to be eligible for employment with the Social Security Administration. These employment requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship and age verification
- Successfully passing a federal background investigation (if required)
In-depth Information about civil service career opportunities with the Social Security Administration. For more in-depth information about SSA and a current list of employment opportunities go to: https://www.ssa.gov/ also SSA Careers.
Seven Keys to Getting Hired for a Federal Civil Service Position:
- Knowing how to find those position vacancies for which you are best qualified and most likely to be hired.
- Understanding how the federal civil service application and hiring process works (you must know the rules of the game!)
- Correctly setting up your own personal USAJOBS employment account.
- Knowing how to create a "high-scoring" federal resume (federal resumes are very different from corporate resumes.)
- Knowing which "Key Words" to use in your resume and application package.
- Knowing how to correctly answer "Supplemental Questions" required for many position applications.
- Knowing how to "ace" a federal job interview - it helps to know what to expect and how to prepare so you outshine the other candidates.
Categories of Federal Civil Service Occupations
Note: Photos courtesy of the Social Security Administration's website public domain photo downloads.