Government Jobs - National Park Service (NPS)
Federal Civil Service | Government Jobs & Employment with the National Park Service (NPS). The National Park Service is actively hiring new people for civil service jobs at numerous locations across the United States. These civil service job opportunities exist across a broad spectrum of skills and duties.
Scope of Opportunities with the National Park Service: The National Park Service is a bureau of the U.S. Department of the Interior. The National Park Service has approximately 20,000 employees. "The National Park Service includes 422 areas covering more than 85 million acres in every state, the District of Columbia, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands." These areas include: "National parks, monuments, battlefields, military parks, historical parks, historic sites, lakeshores, seashores, recreation areas, scenic rivers and trails, and the White House."
Hiring Needs within the National Park Service. NPS employees work in numerous types of jobs. The primary categories of careers and types of jobs currently available with NPS include:
Applications from the public are now being accepted. In most instances, U.S. citizenship is required. National Park Service career opportunities feature competitive starting salaries and the potential for performance-based increases, flexible hours, and the ability to achieve and maintain a balanced lifestyle.
Benefits for National Park Service Employees. Excellent pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for the National Park Service. Government employment offers numerous benefits and special programs. Federal civil servants receive a salary that is competitive with those in private industry. The federal government offers civil service employees a portable retirement plan with government matching contributions. In addition, federal civil servants receive affordable insurance plans for health, dental, vision, and life.
Employment Requirements. All applicants must meet the certain conditions of employment to be eligible for employment with the National Park Service. These employment requirements include:
- U.S. citizenship and age verification
- Successfully passing a federal background investigation (if required)
- Successfully passing a medical evaluation (if required)
In-depth Information about civil service career opportunities with the National Park Service. For more in-depth information about SSA and a current list of employment opportunities go to: https://www.nps.gov/index.htm also National Park Service Careers
Seven Keys to Getting Hired for a Federal Civil Service Position:
- Knowing how to find those position vacancies for which you are best qualified and most likely to be hired.
- Understanding how the federal civil service application and hiring process works (you must know the rules of the game!)
- Correctly setting up your own personal USAJOBS employment account.
- Knowing how to create a "high-scoring" federal resume (federal resumes are very different from corporate resumes.)
- Knowing which "Key Words" to use in your resume and application package.
- Knowing how to correctly answer "Supplemental Questions" required for many position applications.
- Knowing how to "ace" a federal job interview - it helps to know what to expect and how to prepare so you outshine the other candidates.
Categories of Federal Civil Service Occupations
Note: Photos courtesy of the National Park Service's website public domain photo downloads.