Government Jobs - Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Federal Civil Service | Government Jobs & Employment with the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA). "The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is made up of 29 agencies and offices with nearly 100,000 employees who serve the American people at more than 4,500 locations across the country and abroad."
Duties and Responsibilities - U.S. Dept of Agriculture. USDA promotes "agriculture production that better nourishes Americans while also helping feed others throughout the world; and to preserve our Nation's natural resources through conservation, restored forests, improved watersheds, and healthy private working lands."
USDA is actively hiring new people for civil service jobs at locations across the United States. Civil service job opportunities exist across a broad spectrum of skills and duties. Applications from the public are now being accepted. In most instances, U.S. citizenship is required.
Primary Functions of the Department of Agriculture
- Farm Production and Conservation (FPAC)
- Food, Nutrition, and Consumer Services
- Food Safety
- Marketing and Regulatory Programs
- Natural Resources and Environment
- Research, Education and Economics
- Rural Development
- Trade and Foreign Agricultural Affairs' (TFAA)
Benefits for Department of Agriculture Employees
Excellent pay is only part of the compensation you will earn working for the Department of Agriculture. USDA offers numerous benefits and special programs. Federal civil servants receive a salary that is competitive with those in private industry. The federal government offers civil service employees a portable retirement plan with government matching contributions. In addition, federal civil servants receive affordable insurance plans for health, dental, vision, and life.
In-depth Information about civil service career opportunities with the Department of Agriculture. For more in-depth information about USDA and a current list of employment opportunities go to: https://www.usda.gov/ also career information at: https://www.usda.gov/our-agency/careers
Seven Keys to Getting Hired for a Federal Civil Service Position:
- Knowing how to find those position vacancies for which you are best qualified and most likely to be hired.
- Understanding how the federal civil service application and hiring process works (you must know the rules of the game!)
- Correctly setting up your own personal USAJOBS employment account.
- Knowing how to create a "high-scoring" federal resume (federal resumes are very different from corporate resumes.)
- Knowing which "Key Words" to use in your resume and application package.
- Knowing how to correctly answer "Supplemental Questions" required for many position applications.
- Knowing how to "ace" a federal job interview - it helps to know what to expect and how to prepare so you outshine the other candidates.
Categories of Federal Civil Service Occupations and Nonappropriated Funds (NAF) Jobs.
View a detailed list of the major categories of civilian jobs for the federal government. This list includes the federal occupational groups and the specific series within each group.